2011-02-24

Spotlight Technique - Magnolia Card

I've seen this Spotlight Technique done on numerous blogs and was inspired to give it try.
Of course, I've added my own twist to it.
I hope you will find this tutorial useful.

Below are step-by-step details on how I completed my image on this card.
But first, I want to talk a bit about my latest project.
I've colored her with PrismaColor pencils and Copic Sketch markers.
Papers are from Prima and K&Co. The circle doily is from Martha Stewart.
At the top corner is a scroll that I made with clay and have added a crackle finish for that aged look.


Here are the materials I use to making my Spotlight image:

  • Magnolia Stamp - Bubbling Tilda
  • Ink Pad
  • Glass Pebbles
  • Fiskars Circle Punch
  • Ranger Glossy Accent

This is the way I achieve my Spotlight Technique...

Step 1 -Coloring

  • Stamp two images
  • Color one complete image in grayscale
  • Color the second image where you want the Spotlight on

Step 2 - Punch-Out

  • Take your circle punch and place over your colored image
  • Punch-out all the desire Spotlights

Step 3 - Making "bubbles"

  • Add a small amount of Glossy Accent on your punch-out image
  • Gently place the glass pebble on the circle image with the Glossy Accent as the adhesive

Step 4 - Final Image

  • Take the pebbles and carefully place on the black and white image.
  • Once you are satisfy with the placement of the pebbles, adhere with some glue and you are finish.

There you have it! The image is now ready to be added to your project.
Again, there are many blogs and video on how to get this look, this is just my version of it.
I hope you found this tutorial useful.

Update: 03/02/11
Mag over at Mag's Little Things made a card using this technique...it's so beautiful!

Thanks for your visit.
Have a wonderful day.


39 comments:

  1. This is so cool Chelsea!
    Unlike you I have mever seen this done before and I´m so very impressed and this is something I really want to try, so thank´s for a great and easy to follow tutorial :)

    Your spotlight card is so sweet, I am totally intreged by you coloring in grayscale - it´s so beautiful!
    Love all of your embellies and that journaling circle is adorable :)

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sherring the tutorial ... i will try it one day... it gives a nice different look..

    Jayne

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have just given a whole new meaning to the spotlight technique girl! Wowzas! this is absolutely stunning! Great doily and lovely lovely LOVELY love it lace down the side! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great tutorial and must admit the first one that was so clear sweetie! LOL
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!there Chelsea,hope you are doing ok?thanks so much for stopping by :)
    Oh!!!!! your card(work of art)is truly gorgeous,it is so unique and very special.
    big hug,Lou.xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh...how cool is that! Such a great effect with the gray/black against the other colors. And I love the use of glossy accent. Stunning card Chelsea. Hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omgosh that is sooo cool. I have seen this before and not a clue as to how to achieve that effect. Thanks for sharing! Nice job with the clay scroll.
    Hugs Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so cool Chelsea. Great job. Thanks for sharing how you did it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Chelsea!! :)

    What an awesome technique. Your card is beautiful and your tutorial was perfect!!

    Have an awesome day!! :)

    God bless & big hugs...

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Chelsea, this is really brilliant!! Thank you so much for the lovely tut!! What a really awesome design! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH gosh!!! Super super cool!!!! I love the black and white and of course the small areas of color!! This is amazing! :) And I love the clay scroll!!! Oh yes I do! Everything on here is absolutely STUNNING!!!!!!! Wow wow wow!

    Love,
    Elise

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks amazing - you have really taken this technique to another level!
    Thanks for the fab tutorial.
    Love, Andrea xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous coloring Chelsea. Beautiful mono and a touch of colorful glaze accent touch. Fab tutee :o)
    Hugs,
    Cabio

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, this is fun Chelsea! Very interesting take on the spotlight technique, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is AMAZING!! So very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. AMAZING. So clever and the finish project is gorgeous.
    Luv CHRISSYxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow what a special effect! LOve it and will have to try it out! Hugs, Frea

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow - what an unusual technique - not seen it before .. thanks for sharing
    Lisa ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG , wow, Chelsea,
    I have never saw this before.
    This is so amazing .
    Great art work dear.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is brilliant!!! Love the look....thanks so much for the directions!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is awesome, what a fabby idea loving those bubbles too hugs pops x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your card is totally gorgeous Chelsea and I love the tutorial. Love the bubbles!
    Clairexx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous card, and brilliant technique, thanks for sharing.
    Have a wonderful weekend
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  24. OMG WOW your creations always AMAZE me and this is no exception......SPECTACULAR!!!
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is a great technique, Chelsea! Thanks a lot for sharing with us.
    Hugs, Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Chelsea , This is a very intresting card,love the effect thanks for visting me ...Your cards are so lovely !
    Hugs
    doreen

    ReplyDelete
  27. Seriously how beautiful is this??!!! You did an amazing job with the spotlight technique!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow Chelsea,
    this is an awesome technique. You make it look so easy...lol Gotta get me some glossy accents.

    Hugs, Marjo

    ReplyDelete
  29. You are so talented Chelsea!! I just love your coloring and the technique you used. I have tried this before. Thanks for the tutorial!!
    hugs,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  30. wonderful technique! your coloring is amazing, Chelsea! gorgeous card!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Very beautifully!!! What interesting idea! Thanks, for a tremendous lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  32. DING DANG! I am blown away by your technique BEYOND BEAUTIFUL~~

    I am always inspired and in awe of your talent!
    Thank you for sharing!

    xoxo
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oooh, this is new to me, I haven't seen it quite like this before, beautiful, thanks for sharing,
    Em.x

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh my god this technique is so wonderful!! Love it,

    Bianca

    ReplyDelete
  35. OMG...this is brilliant! Love the look,thanks so much for the directions! Hugs Janine

    ReplyDelete
  36. It's so adorable what you did with the little "bubbles" here! How creative and cute...wow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow this is so clever what a stunning card totally amazing
    Hugs Susie Sugar xx

    ReplyDelete
  38. Chelsea I love your techniques, your projects are amazing ! tfs !

    ReplyDelete