2014-06-20

Hello summer! - Weathered wood tutorial

It'll be officially Summer tomorrow, so here is my card to welcome the sun and the fun!  I'll also be showing how I made the weathered fence on this card below.  Have a fun summer.


hanging "hello Summer" sign with my fabric butterfly ...

faux weathered wood fence ...

paper flowers ...

another look at the finished card ...

Here's how I made these weathered wood out of chipboard ...

Cut the chipboard into long rectangular pieces.
Add a coat of gesso and let dry.
When the gesso dry, spray with any color you like.

I diluted tan paint with water in a spritz bottle and gave it a random spray and let them dry.
Add some clear crackle paint and let it dry.

You can use these chipboard at this step, but I'm going to make them more distress.
I'm adding a light blue paint to the crackled area to bring out the crackles.
Making it more distress with some brown ink around the edges.
and this is what you will get, again you can use them at this step.

But I need mine to be more "weathered" for my project, so I will add another step.
Make dings and scratches with any tool you have, I'm using my tweezers and sandpaper.


The end result are these weathered wood planks made from chipboard.

Thanks for reading, I hope you find this post helpful.  Have a wonderful weekend!
~Chelsea

19 comments:

  1. So pretty and very romantic as well. Awesome look on the wood planks.It`s like looking into a beautiful garden from the outside. Great work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, girl, you never cease to AMAZE me!!!!! What a beautiful work of art you created once again!
    Looooove the gorgeous fence...thank you so much for the tutorial. Your flowers are luscious. What a feast for the eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chelsea, may I ask where you purchased the chipboard??? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christina, I got them at Joann :)

      Delete
  4. wow, what a stunning card. Love all those gorgeous flowers and I love that fence, I must try this. Thanks for the tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW, flowers galore....they are pretty as ever. And you sure turned those plain 'ol wood chips into some totally cool weathered wood planks. You're so ingenious and never cease to amaze me. HOOOOOLY COW! Have a great weekend Chelsea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Открытка прелесть! Челси, спасибо за подробное описание забора! Это здорово!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is stunning really love it Chelsea, beautiful done.

    gr karin

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're an artist and a creative genius! This card is magnificent Chelsea. I'm always thrilled when I come visit with you, you always delight the senses with your unique designs. Thank you so much for sharing your technique for making the weathered fence. Your "hello summer" sign is so very adorable! I love every single element on this card. Thank you for your sharing spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such an amazing idea! I love what you came up with and will be trying it out. Thank You for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very beautiful!!! I feel warm summer:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, WoW!!
    Stunning and I sooooo much love the shabby and weathered look/ feel of your gorgeous fence and card!!
    Thanks for the tuto and what a lovely flowers and sooooo many, wow, like a waterfall!
    Very inspirational!
    Did you make the flowers too?
    Bye,

    Marjolein

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Marjolein, I did make those flowers too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chelsea, thi is just amazing! I don't know English so well to say how much I love you tutorials! I shared the link to your blog on my FB fan page :) I hope that more people can get to know you and your talent!
    Hugs
    Kate :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for sharing Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Completely brilliant!!! I am going to use this technique in a project very soon, I will link back to you, expect a lot of visitors, this is so stunning!! Love your site which I found completely by chance, and thank you for sharing all your creativity!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks so real and shabby in the most amazing way! Thanks for sharing this technique!

    Hugs,
    Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gracias por tus explicaciones, me parece muy interesante.
    Saludos

    ReplyDelete